Blog

Fall Dangers to you Pets #3

Mothballs

Mothballs contain either paradichlorobenzene or naphthalene, which cause:

  • Vomiting
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Tremors
  • Weakness
  • Possible kidney or liver failure
  • Severe abnormality of your pets red blood cells if injested

If you use mothballs, please make sure they are well out of the reach of your pets.

If you think your dog or cat has eaten a mothball, contact Peterborough West Animal Hospital right away. The sooner you seek treatment, the better the chance your dog or cat has of fully recovering.

Do not induce vomiting or give anything orally to your pet unless the Doctors at Peterborough West Animal Hospital have sepcifically directed you to do so. When possible, put the mothball pacage and/or remaining loose mothballs into a sealed plastic bag and bring them with you to our hospital for identification.

Antifreeze

Antifreeze has a sweet smell and taste and our pets love to lick it. Antifreeze is extremely dangerous if ingested and is one of the most common forms of poisoning in pets. As little as one teaspoon in a cat or a tablespoon or two for dogs, depending on the size of the aniaml, can be fatal. Sigsn of early poisoning include acting drunk or uncoordinated, excessive thirst, and lethargy. If you think your pet may have ingested some antifreeze be sure to call Peterborough West Aniaml Hospital(705-745-4800) and let us know you are on your way in. It is imperative that you get to the hospital immediately.

Stay tuned for one more article on Fall Dangers and you Pet!

Comments are closed.